Monday, October 12, 2009

19 miles, birthday bash, & prize worthy stew

This was a weekend of wonderful events.
First, Rebekah and I conquered a 19 mile run with the help of some dear people Kristi, Ross, and Aaron. Without their support and encouragement it would have been much more difficult! It's funny how you start to appreciate the little things during those runs. Such as: water, snacks, good socks, conversations, shoes…good shoes, toenails, a bathroom, or even ground. I probably could go on and on, but that is off the top of my head. Just lost the first toenail from this training, and I never thought that I would say that it's a relief to have it gone!

(Aaron met us in the most dangerous part of run, and took a photo op of us.)
We celebrated Aaron's "29" Birthday on Saturday. We had a great time having lots of friends over eating, watching football, and celebrating. I told Aaron that next year his Birthday will be even bigger because not only will it be his GOLDEN Birthday (10-10-10), but when you add up his GOLDEN Birthday it is "30", which is what he is turning! Is that not crazy?!? We might need to make sure the Rebels get that message next year though!
Last year, I discovered a few recipes for a Carolina Brunswick Stew. After playing around with it I came up with own version. This ended up being one of Aaron's favorite things, so it was our main course for the party. I had the best of intentions of taking pictures at the party…but I was a little busy. Then I meant to snag a pic of the Stew to share, but y'all, no kidding, not a bite left! I made 2 stockpots full, and cooked it over night, and it was all gone! So this is a fall must have! I'm sharing my secrets here, so bon appetite!
Brunswick Stew

  • 1 Small Sweet Potato- cut into 1” cubes
  • 1 c. Yellow Onion- thinly sliced
  • 1 c. Frozen Corn Kernels
  • 1 c. Frozen Lima Beans
  • 2 cans of Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
  • 2 cans of Crushed Tomatoes
  • 3 slices of Turkey Bacon- cooked & chopped
  • ½ c. Ketchup
  • 2 TBS. Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1 TBS. BBQ Sauce
  • 1 Rotisserie Chicken- from the store and shred the chicken (no skin/bone)
  • 1 tsp. Paprika
  • ½ tsp. Red Pepper
  • S&P to taste 
  • Combine first 10 ingredients over Medium heat & bring to a boil, or if cooking over night cook for 4 hours on high in crock-pot. Reduce heat to a simmer & continue to cook until potatoes are tender (about 30 minutes). Stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining ingredients and continue to simmer for another 15 minutes, or if over night add remaining ingredients and continue to cook on low, in the am switch to“warm".

6 comments:

  1. Mmmm sounds good. I'm gonna give that stew a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I MISSED aarons birthday. I'm a jerk. Happy "29" Aaron! You are loved! And Marg.... If I visit this Fall will you make the stew?!!? =) LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely going to cook that stew! We love eating stews and soups in the fall and winter! I think you would like my black beans recipe on the "Conner and friends in the Kitchen" link on my blog. It can be made pretty healthy. I omit the boullion. Congrats on the run too and Happy belated birthday to Aaron. I surely hope Mark called. We didn't get home from MS til 1:00 that morning then he had to turn around and work a 12 hour shift starting at 7! So, that's the excuse if he didn't:) Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Margie! Love the blog. Sad I missed out on the stew but thanks for sharing the recipe! I will have to try it. We had a great time hanging out Saturday. And I can't believe that about Aaron's birthday next year! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That stew sounds great!! :-)

    ps - I loved Priscilla Shirer - she's so great :-) that's cool your friend is her assistant . . . maybe you can tell her about adam and I's ministry :-) haha

    what are you up to these days my friend?!! where do you live?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tyler and I just gobbled down this stew. DELICIOUS! Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete