Friday, August 14, 2009

bottletree bakery came to our house... cereal took a back seat


This summer we have been blessed enough to have some fabulous blueberries. Wish I could say we have grown them, but we have definitely left that to pros. Our last big bunch that we bought, I decided I wanted to make some fresh blueberry muffins. So, I busted out the great “Square Table” cookbook, and found Bottletree Bakery’s famous blueberry muffin recipe…and said, “I can always try”. I did and I conqured! In case you don’t know about Bottletree, it is a great Bakery in Oxford, MS and is one of Oprah’s favorite places. I added some tries in (), they work just as well. I have also reduced the ingredients in the topping too; you really only need this much. Try the recipe!

Muffin:

  • 3 ½ c. Whole Wheat Flour
  • ¾ c. Sugar (Healthier do: ½ Splenda & ½ Sugar)
  • 1 tsp. Baking Powder
  • ¾ tsp. Baking Soda
  • ½ tsp. Salt
  • ¾ c. Veg. Oil
  • 1 ½ c. Buttermilk (Don’t have buttermilk? Add 1tbs. of lemon juice to each c. of milk.)
  • 1tsp. Lemon Juice
  • 1tsp. Lemon Zest
  • 2 c. Blueberries
  • Streusel Topping:
  • ½ c. Sugar ¼ c. Unsalted Butter, melted
  • ½ c. Flour

· Preheat oven to 350. In a bowl sift dry ingredients, set aside. In another bowl combine oil, buttermilk, lemon juice, & zest. Gently stir in berries into the flour mixture. Make a well in the center & pour in buttermilk mixture. Stir until barely blended. Spoon into muffin tins.

· For topping, mix ingredients together, and sprinkle muffins with topping. Bake 20 minutes, Makes 18.

4 comments:

  1. You impress me so much!! I miss Bottletree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey have you ever tried this recipe with applesauce instead of veg oil?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i haven't leslie. i'm sure it would work fine though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey i just made them last night! they turned out great even though i messed up the streusel topping. great w/honey and butter! thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete